Sunday, May 16, 2010

Imagine My Fear

As a writer, I often find myself drawing upon life’s experiences, even in a fictional world. Today, I'm sharing with you one such example that bristles the hairs on my arms when contemplating what could have been.
----------------------------------

My wife had major reconstructive surgery on her abdominal wall this past week. When we passed the three day mark, she expressed a desire to take a shower before having to go back to see the doctor.

Mistake #1: not taking the recliner into the master bath.
When we unzipped/took off her compression garment, from her knees up to her chest, the pressure change caused her to be light of head. I quickly helped her sit down on the edge of the bath tub. That was when she passed out in my arms and started convulsing. It was not violent, just a lot of involuntary body twitching that scared the hell out of me.

Mistake #2: locking the bathroom door so the kids could not come in.
I didn't dare try and move my wife for fear of hurting her. She has drainage tubes coming out of her lower abdomen and sutured stitches spanning hip to hip. I yelled to her mother to come help--only she couldn't get in because the door was locked. Imagine my fear. I couldn't lay her down. I couldn't stand her up. Her face is ashen white and she won't respond. My mother-in-law is trying to bust the doors open, and I'm trying to revive the love of my life. My lips lock over hers, but her mouth won’t open. I call her name over and over again, but she doesn't answer. Her limp arms hang at my side. I wonder for a brief moment if this is it—if this is how it ends—and then everything inside me screams no! I slap her face with my free hand, desperate to wake her up. The bathroom door explodes open as her mother hurls herself through the double doors with the aid of my younger son. She grabs my wife’s shoulders and sinks her cold fingernails into her skin. Joy speaks. After almost two minutes of eternal silence my wife speaks, even if dazed and confused. I squeeze her tight and never want to let go.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

What scary moments for you. I'm glad to read all turned out okay, and I wish her a quick recovery.

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

Oh Ben, how terrifying! I don't think that's the sort of shock that can be quickly recovered from. Hope your family is able to have some good rest and down time after that stressful event.

Reading your account of it was a chilling, heart pounding its way up my throat sort of experience. I think of scenes I've written in the past and hope to never have real life experiences to draw upon for them, much as it might improve my writing.

Brenda Susan said...

So scary....and you obviously are a writer because you took us right there into the moment. Hope she is doing better now.

MTeacress said...

Oh, I'm so glad she woke up. I agree with Brenda, you took us right there. You'll have to give us an update - let us all know when she is (and you are) recovered.

Jeff King said...

I agree with everyone else... glad it turned out ok, hope it all works out for her and your family.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog. It was very encouraging. You must have found me through Brenda (?)

I'm still writing at another blog site, but feeling a bit un-inspired at the moment. I'm sure you know the feeling.

Great post about your wife. Not great in how she was feeling, but great writing. I wish her a speedy recovery!

Lesley Miller said...

Ooops- that last comment was from me.

Unknown said...

Thanks to everyone for your kind comments/support. Joy is doing much better now. Dr. put her on iron supplements and took her off the blood thinning medecine.

Lesley - yes, I found your blog when I was visiting Brenda's. Thanks for stopping by.

Rick said...

Ben,

I had no idea you had a blog. Glad to know that things turned out okay for Joy and you. Life can throw some scary moments now and then.

Corinne O said...

Whoa - that is some scary stuff. I am glad that your MIL barged in and that everything ended well. Sounds like some major surgery for your wife too. Sending good thoughts!

Becky said...

Okay, so I have already HEARD this story so I chose not to read it again because it made the hairs on MY arms bristle. Goodness. Just happy that she's doing better! And please...NO more drama. :)

Elliot Grace said...

...hope your wife is recovering well, Ben. Too scary for this husband to comprehend.
Wishing your family all the best.

Unknown said...

Just an update. Joy is doing much better now. It's been 9 days since surgery, and she's definitely on the mend. Progress is good, even if it's slow, kind of like my writing :)

Christina Ayers said...

What a vivid description of a harrowing experience. I am so glad she is okay now!

Jody Hedlund said...

I could feel your fear! And I think you're right. You can totally draw on that emotion and transfer it to your characters.

BTW, hope everything is okay now for your wife.

M.R.Bunderson said...

Wow Ben, I'm so glad she's doing better.