Thursday, April 15, 2010

Drop the mouse and walk away

I LOVE spring, but I have to be honest with you; it’s not good for my writing. It took me almost two weeks to edit chapters ten and eleven of Finding Home. I had hoped, in some deranged world that I obviously don’t live in, that I’d be done editing both of my books in time for the LDSStoryMakers conference next week. I was cruising in March and then spring happened. I’m telling you man, I was blind-sided. Wham. I even found myself asking, what the h-e-double-hockey-sticks happened to me? It’s like the sun God has warped my perception of reality, throwing me into a funk every time I sit down at the computer, tempting me, enticing me, telling me, “drop the mouse and walk away.”

10 comments:

Elliot Grace said...

..."Spring Fever" has a way of throwing a wrench into any and all projects un-related to mowing the yard, mulching the flower beds, teaching your kid how to throw a curve ball on a 2-2 count, things like that. Don't sweat it, Ben. It's a natural funk.

nephite blood spartan heart said...

I could swear I write more when it's colder outside too, but that's not always a hard and fast rule either.

Unknown said...

You're spot on with the baseball comment. I've got three boys, all in different leagues this year. Thanks for the encouragement.

Unknown said...

Taking time to live your life and gain personal experiences will only help your writing in the long run. Don't stress, just enjoy the sunshine.

Unknown said...

drop the mouse and walk away.

Becky said...

Where have I been? Why did I not know of this blog earlier? Sorry about the spring fever...there are worse things though. ENJOY THE SUN! :)

Unknown said...

The weekend is over. I played baseball with my boys, pulled a million weeds, built a rocket and a derby car, went on a five mile hike in the mountains (3000 ft elevation climb), took a nap, and even managed to teach a piano lesson or two, but nada on the books. And I'm okay with that now. My time will come. Thanks.

Matt Ryan said...

Hey Ben -

Thanks for dropping by my blog and leaving a comment. Don't worry about not writing on the weekend, Spring Fever will eventually subside with the rise in temperature.

-Matt

Jo Jo said...

Good perspective. Yucky picture!

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

Love how the title and image work together!

I think the struggle to find balance between living life and creating it through writing is pretty much inevitable, isn't it? Says the woman typing one handed while cuddling a baby...