Monday, June 14, 2010

Thirteen Reasons Why

My eight year old nephew and namesake passed away, and I spent this past weekend in Boston for the funeral. It's only the fourth funeral that I've attended, and the first one that I've been asked to speak at.

While Benjamin died peacefully in his sleep, his body tired from the wearing handicaps he had been born with, it was still a stark reminder of the fragility of life.

I did not purposefully time the reading of Jay's first novel, Thirteen Reasons Whywith the events of this past weekend, but I'm glad it worked out that way. Jay's haunting story ends with hope and a desire to be the type of person who would be celebrated rather than grieved at their passing. Life is a gift, and Benjamin's short life was a blessing to many--more than 500 people who showed up to say, "Thank you." 

This is a book I will ask my kids to read before they start high school, to realize how everything we do impacts someone, even if only ourselves. But most likely--always--there are others that we don't know about. Aren't we lucky that we get to choose how?

4 comments:

Jeff Beesler said...

I'm truly sorry for your loss, Ben. Loss is always hard, but the legacy of those who have left us lives on. The good thing about being a writer is that we can write down our favorite memories of our loved ones, forever capturing them in a picture of words.

I'll have to check out that book you mentioned.

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

So sorry Ben. But so glad you were given the gift of such a sweet perspective. We really are lucky, and life seems so much more joyful when we approach it with that in mind.

Jeff King said...

I am glad he lived, and hope he will be remembered. I am sure you honored his memory.

I ask me kids to read that novel as well. thx

shirlgirl said...

Your talk at Benji's funeral was wonderful. And, the story I loved the most was the "twin" talk about yours and Becky's name--I loved it and I love you. It was so good to see you. Our Benji was an inspiration to all of us as his his wonderful family. Love, Aunt Shirley